Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year 2006

2005 was not such a bad year. If 2006 is just half as good, I will be able to achieve quite a lot.
Fireworks everywhere - In UmeƄ, Sweden, they were very nice indeed. This time I saw them from far way. In 2004 I had the possibiltiy of experience the fireworks from the middle fo the town. 2005 I was somewhere else. This year I could see all in perspective.
As I could not catch a bus to the Swedish Lappland, I spent some time watching a Mr. Bean video.
Now I am back in Lycksele - and working as usual.
A number of things were possible today: I talked to my mother (who is a linguist) about locating funding for a friend's project on the Sami Language. Maybe we can get him into a doctoral programe to save the language. Imagine - An European language with only 10 speakers!
I also surveyed what is going on about the 2006 October regional conference in Brussels. The deadline for suggestions is 27 January. If North Sweden focus on tourism and/or testing, the region will be able to find enough European allies to carry the day. But one has to think how to carry this on. If the European dimension is lost in this type of suggestions, it is not accepted in Brussels.


Not much reading today, but I finally got out, after several tries and mistakes of mine, the paper on ICT and health in China. It is amazing how much the world has to learn from the Hong Kong and the SARS experience. Those guys were really good. They actually saved the planet, if one thinks about it.


I did a final check on copyright issues. If I understood this, once I publish things here, I am the holder of rights. All this is complicated - I just want to make sure that if some gets popular with my poems, I will get some share of it. I do not think my poems are that good - but there is nothing wrong in dreaming.

No comments: